I made my first trip to Haiti in 1998. Fell in love with my first orphan in 2000. Started a non-profit to help Haiti in 2003 and started taking teams down on short-term mission trips soon after. I fell in love with Wanna and Fritzon (and a lot of others in the same orphanage) in March of 2010 and had to wait over 2 years to start the adoption process due to the laws of Haiti and a process that is always changing. Our documents were finally submitted and accepted in the fall of 2012 and are currently moving through the court system. We are quickly (hopefully) approaching the end of our adoption. This is my blog to talk about all things related to our adoption and any thing else I think is relevant to it. Enjoy!

Search This Blog

Thursday, September 27, 2012

Why help overseas????


The local paper did a story on our adoption and living in a small town I usually see the responses on FB or hear the discussions that are going on.  I've seen a few posts on FB and had a few people ask me directly about helping people overseas vs here when there are starving children in the US. I am not offended by those questions.. Just wanted to share my response here in case you are wondering but not asking: American children may be hungry but they are not starving to death and if they are it's not for lack of resources available it's simply due to abuse. Sometimes it does make sense to just send money but if there is a country where there aren't enough people or resources to help then someone has to be there to take those resources. I can send tons of money to Haiti but that money can't buy medicine because it's not there to buy. That money can't hold a child that was found in a trash pile and nurse him back to health unless there are people there with medical training (and in Haiti there is a 1 trained dr for almost every 1 million people) . We have enough resources in the US that even the poorest and most unfortunate have more than some in other countries. I've never seen an American child go get water out of a pothole in the middle of the road but I have seen that happen in Haiti. I've never seen an American child not have a public restroom he can go into for clean water to drink or wash off with. I don't understand why or how there are children starving in the US with all the aid programs we have here. And if we took just a few of the salaries of pro-sports players or actors/actresses we could do a lot of things too but we support them and cheer them and their over salaried selves. I know that helping people in other countries isn't for everyone but that's my heart. I would rather question why or how people spend so much money saving animals and how they can spend thousands to run sappy commercials for abused animals when we have kids that need that money and help but I just remind myself that we each have a calling in life and I'm following mine and it's not my place to be upset with someone else if what they are doing is helping.

No comments:

Post a Comment