I made my first trip to Haiti in 1998. Fell in love with my first orphan in 2000. Started a non-profit to help Haiti in 2003 and started taking teams down on short-term mission trips soon after. I fell in love with Wanna and Fritzon (and a lot of others in the same orphanage) in March of 2010 and had to wait over 2 years to start the adoption process due to the laws of Haiti and a process that is always changing. Our documents were finally submitted and accepted in the fall of 2012 and are currently moving through the court system. We are quickly (hopefully) approaching the end of our adoption. This is my blog to talk about all things related to our adoption and any thing else I think is relevant to it. Enjoy!

Search This Blog

Sunday, December 4, 2011

What's the point of adoption?

So I have recently been harassing my FB and Twitter friends for donations to help with our adoption.  I shared the blog before this on on my wall and was asked by a teenager, "What's the point in adopting?".  He said he wasn't trying to be rude, he just didn't get it.  I was actually very sad that he didn't know and if he doesn't know then how many others don't understand the need for adoption.  Here was my response:

I'm not sure what your home life was/is like but think about times in your life when you were scared....who was there to make you feel better? When you accomplished something great, who was there to congratulation you or cheer you on? Was it family? Now imagine not having any of that. Imagine never getting tucked in at night because there are 50 other kids and only a few workers who treat you like a job, not a child. Imagine that no one listens to your dreams, your hopes or your fears. Imagine turning 18 and going into the world and you have NO ONE to turn to when times get tough. You have NO WHERE to go at Thanksgiving or Christmas....no one to celebrate with. Why would anyone want to withhold that from a child? Being in foster care or a children's home or an orphanage is not the same as having a family. When you aren't a part of the family you know that you all alone and whether it's true or not, deep down you believe that no one wants you or loves you. Would you want to go through life thinking that no one loved you enough to call you their child? If I could I would take every child in or find a good, loving home for every child so they never had to feel like that. I know how it feels and no one, especially children should have to feel that way.

I've filled my life with a lot of distractions and unnecessary things.  I've pursued personal goals and accomplished many of them but as I get deeper into my own adoption and as I connect with others going through adoption or helping families with adoption the more the fire in the core of my being burns with desire to do more.  This may be IT.  This may be what I've been destined to do with my life.  I love technology, I love people, I love Haiti, I love to help those in need, I love orphans and hurting teens......put all that together and I can become an advocate, a doer and leader in adoption and connecting families together.  All these things I've filled my life with have been preparing me for this season and while I'm scared to fail I am so excited to see what God can do with me.  Please pray that I will do what I'm called to do and I will do it well.

1 comment:

  1. I love your response to that young man. It's so wonderful to allow God to lead in our lives isn't it? Much more exciting than trying to figure it out on our own!

    ReplyDelete