I made my first trip to Haiti in 1998. Fell in love with my first orphan in 2000. Started a non-profit to help Haiti in 2003 and started taking teams down on short-term mission trips soon after. I fell in love with Wanna and Fritzon (and a lot of others in the same orphanage) in March of 2010 and had to wait over 2 years to start the adoption process due to the laws of Haiti and a process that is always changing. Our documents were finally submitted and accepted in the fall of 2012 and are currently moving through the court system. We are quickly (hopefully) approaching the end of our adoption. This is my blog to talk about all things related to our adoption and any thing else I think is relevant to it. Enjoy!

Search This Blog

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Color Blind

So I've been a terrible blogger.  There is much to say about our adoption process.... the wait, the papers, the comments of those who don't support it or don't believe it will ever happen or should happen.... did I mention the pain of the wait?  I spend a lot of my time analyzing everyone else's blogs and timelines and helping others in the process of their Haiti adoptions.  I pour over the pages of several FB Groups filled with other families and mothers who understand what it's like to love a child conceived in your heart and not your womb.  There are few that really get it, and I'm okay with that.  I don't believe we are all called the same things in this world.  We each have our own calling, our own purpose and I would never tell you that the desires of your heart were wrong or that you shouldn't follow them so I don't understand why people think it's okay to tell me my dreams or desires or passions are wrong.  I was under the impression those desires were put there by God, not by anyone down here so if I'm wrong I'm sure He'll let me know.

I've been reading about fitness trainer Jillian's recent adoption of a little girl from Haiti (and secretly a little jealous that she's home so quickly) however, it's the comments people make on those articles that is causing me frustration.  They are the same comments I have gotten myself and the same ones I read after the earthquake in Haiti and I'm sure they are the comments that people say in their heads but are at least nice enough to keep them there. 

"Why adopt/help a child from another country when we have people here that need help?"

I have several thoughts and responses to this.

1.  If all those complaining about people who help others out of the US would step up and do something themselves here IN the US then there would be so much help given that they would NEED us to help other countries because all the needs would be met here.

2.  Since when did those born in the US become more important and valuable than anyone born any where else?  Jesus made it clear in the parable of the Good Samaritan that it's not about your physical neighbor and those closest to you in distance....it's about seeing a need and meeting a need.  For me, that need is in Haiti.  Where's the need you are supposed to meet and what are you doing about it?  Don't spend so much time getting upset with others who are using their lives and resources to help others simply because those aren't the ones you would help if you were doing something.  Take that energy you have worrying about us and go do some good for those you are worried about.

3.  A child is a child is a child.  How can anyone get upset at anyone helping a child?  As a former foster and adopted child from the US I really do get the need for domestic adoptions.  I am a product of it, but I don't see how it matters what system an abandoned child comes out of, that child needs a home.  If you are worried about the kids in the US foster care system then become a foster or adoptive parent yourself.

4.  A child is a child whether that child is white, tan or black.  I guess I must be color blind because I just see children in need.  I see them in our schools, in our foster care system and in the orphanages I work at in Haiti.  I just see kids....I see eyes that tell a story there aren't words to....I see smiles from a simple hug....I see hearts in need of love and somehow, somewhere along the way I miss what color their skin is.  It's probably because I'm not looking at that.  When I see a need I don't decide if I should help them based on where they live or what color they are.  I help if and when I can as often as I can.


This was put out there for those who "just don't get it".  Maybe you still don't get it but maybe you will at least understand how or why I do.




1 comment:

  1. Great post! We are adopting a child from Congo and one from St. Vincent. I know there are plenty if people who just don't get it.

    I was wondering if you were still fundraising for your adoptions? I am the Give1Save1.com blogger/coordinator for the Caribbean region. I am looking for families to feature to help them raise money for their adoption. If you aren't familiar with Give1Save1, it was created by an adoptive mom wanting to help other families lessen the financial burden of international adoption. If interested in an application please email me at lindsaym_83 (at) hotmail (dot) com Thanks!

    ReplyDelete